Area A1a houses a large-scale reaction frame for structural testing. The reaction frame consists of approximately 500 square ft (30 ft long x 17.5 ft wide) strong floor and an L-shaped reaction wall (each side of which is 15 ft wide x 14 ft high). On the strong floor, anchor groups of four holes (for 1 ½ inch bolts at a spacing of 10 inches) are spaced at 3 ft (center-to-center). Each anchor group is capable of resisting a maximum of 100 kips in tension. The strong floor is designed to resist a total of 500 kips tension or compression force. Similarly, anchor groups of the same type are placed on the strong walls at a spacing of 3 ft. Each anchor group on the walls can resist 100 kips in tension or compression with the total reaction force being limited to 250 kips per wall. The walls are designed to resist 250 kips of load (each) simultaneously for biaxial testing of structural elements. A picture of the reaction frame is provided below. The reaction frame is served by a 5-ton overhead crane. The large-scale reaction frame along with the overhead crane is seen below.
The large-scale reaction frame is provided with hydraulic power (at 3000 psi) through a hardline embedded inside a trench that spans a large portion of the laboratory space (see the lab layout). Five independent take-off points are available. Further information on hydraulic power supply and the distribution system is provided under A7.
A number of hydraulic actuators with varying force and displacement capacities are available for use in A1a as listed below. An image of the actuators on the storage rack is provided below.
- A dynamic MTS actuator with 55/55 kips C/T force capacity, 10 inches stroke and 3-stage servo valve rated at 90 gpm (MTS 244.31).
- A dynamic MTS actuator with 11/11 kips C/T force capacity, 10 inches stroke and 3-stage servo-valve rated at 90 gpm (MTS 244.21).
- An Atlas actuator with 235/190 kips C/T force capacity and 12 inch stroke.
- An Atlas actuator with 150/120 kips C/T force capacity and 8 inch stroke.
- A Parker actuator with 340/270 kips C/T force capacity and 9 inch storke
- A Parker actuator with 340/270 kips C/T force capacity and 18 inch stroke.
- Two Parker cylinders with 25 kips force capacity and 12 inch stroke.
A number of hydraulic service manifolds (HSM) are available to be used with the above mentioned actuators:
- Two MTS single station HSMs with 100 gpm maximum flow rate and 2 gal pressure and 1 gal return accumulators (MTS 293.22).
- One SW two station HSM with 60 gpm maximum flow rate.